My name is Kenneth; I am currently doing an English module
and was asked to write a reflection on my experience of the English module. I was enrolled in the English module as I
didn’t do very well for my A level english paper. Hence I had to take this
preparatory English module, for the school to gauge my proficiency level of
English. The English module aims to assist students who are weak in English, by
going through the fundamentals of English. The school places lots of emphasis
on English as it would assist students for other modules.
When I first enrolled in the English module, I wasn’t very
pleased with it as it was an additional workload to my curriculum and the
module takes up a lot of my personal time.
Having been through the English module, I was wrong about it being a
burden. The experience from the English module was a fulfilling and enjoyable
one. I credit my tutor, laetitia, for
making this module an enriching and interesting one. She is very patient with all of us and she
understands our difficulties. Occasionally, some of us might not submit our
homework on time, she understood we had other priorities and commitments, thus
she would take the additional effort of reviewing our work past the deadline. Since the result for this module will not be
reflected in our GPA, the class is less competitive. Personally I find the culture in the class is
much more interactive as compare to my other modules, and the friendship forged
feels deeper compare to my other modules. In addition, some of the essay
materials discussed is
really intriguing. It
breaks away from our monotonous subjects, giving us more room to think
of some of the current trends. I remember we had to write an essay on social
media. As I was looking for materials to develop the essay, I notice that the
topic was relevant and I could relate to the problems discussed in the
materials. As such I enjoyed the English module very much, and had benefited
from it subtly.
However the experience could have been better if the workload
was less heavy. Due to commitments for other modules, I find myself struggling
to complete the assignments for this module. Hence I ended up doing my work
during lessons, and was able to understand what Ms Laetitia was going through.
Despite the shortcoming of this module, I’ve learnt a lot
from the module. Most importantly, the skills I have learnt in this module are
applicable to other modules. I was able to better develop points for other
modules, I’ve learnt the proper writing etiquette, especially for reports and I
am more aware of my grammar mistakes.
I stongly believe student will gain more, if the school is
able to reduce its workload and place more focus on the lessons. It defeats the purpose of having an English
preparatory lesson if the students are not able to focus as they are busy
trying to catch up with the workload.
No comments:
Post a Comment